FOGSquad 2015-16 Season Primer: This Is Aukward Edition - FOGSQUAD

September 1, 2015

FOGSquad 2015-16 Season Primer: This Is Aukward Edition


In preparation for the upcoming 2015-16 season, FOGSquad will post a season primer of every NHL team every other day until the beginning of the season on October 7th. This is thus part eleven of a thirty part series. We hope you enjoy!

Last season’s review
The Pittsburgh Penguins started off the 2014-15 season clearly showing that they didn't forget how to play hockey during the offseason! Though the Penguins made it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs once again, the New York Rangers handily punted them back into the ocean with a win in a game five elimination.The Penguins have had their fair share of disappointing exits. Regardless, Penguins fans have much to look forward to in the coming seasons.

This season’s preview
Sidney Crosby announced earlier this month that he is officially switching from forward to goalie. Similarly, the Penguins' starter for much of the past decade, Marc-Andre Fleury, has been moved to the forward position, and will likely play the majority of the 2015-16 season as a right wing. This may come as a surprise to many NHL fans, but the signs were clear: Crosby performs much, much better in goal than as a forward, and Fleury has always expressed wishes to return to his original position.

"I've always felt much, much more stable in goal," Crosby stated in an interview. "You know how dogs like to sleep with their backs to something, because that way they feel safer? I feel the exact same way."

"My entry into the NHL draft as a goalie was actually a clerical error," said Fleury, coloring slightly in embarrassment. "They put me down as a goalie on the sheet and I didn't notice until later. By then it was too late. Plus, I was too shy to say anything, so I just played goal for the next 10 years."

With these changes, the Penguins will likely be a powerful force in the Eastern Conference: it's up to the rest of the roster to pull their weight.

The official FOGSquad prediction
The Penguins, severely weakened by the lack of apricot preserve scones and brown sugar cinnamon rolls due to the exit of Paul Martin, fail to make it to the 2015-16 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Players to watch:
  • Sidney Crosby, even though he’s totally not that good. I can think of five or six other players in the NHL that can play better than Crosby. I’m not going to tell you who they are, because that’s cheating and also I don’t need to explain myself to you, but you should just know that there are totally better players than Sidney Crosby. You can keep watching him if you want, though. That’s a classic NHL fan move.
  • Evgeni Malkin, who has found out where I live and is at my door seconds after typing the previous bullet. He knows what I’ve said. I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it! We’re a humor bl—

Players NOT to watch
  • Beau Bennett. You’ve probably seen too much of Beau Bennett at this point. 
  • Kris Letang, post-haircut. What’s the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment